Saturday, March 14, 2009

Retribution...

I guess it serves me right.

For years, I have mocked the oft-heard line of district superintendents, "You know, this is really a tight year..." It always seemed to me like it was a requirement of a DS to be able to say, "It's a tight year..." When I lived at Lake Junaluska, which hosts the week-long new DS training, I used to say, "How long does it take to teach a new DS to say 'It's a tight year"?

Like someone without children vowing to NEVER say ________ to THEIR children, I always said I would never say "It's a tight year." Well, guess what?

Here I am, first year DS in an appointment round drastically affected by the economic downturn...and (although I vowed not to say so), it IS a tight year. It is a drastically limited year. That's not just DS whine. That's the reality of salary losses (1.1 million dollars for the coming conference year) and position losses (15 minister positions eliminated with downsizing).

Oh dear.

I have great confidence that we will do our very best...that we will do so prayerfully, thoughtfully and compassionately...and hope that all will be praying for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment