Thursday, March 26, 2009

Never lose sight.....

For the last ten years, this yard rock has been one of the first things placed wherever I lived. This is something I hand-carry in the car and carefully place where I will see it most frequently. For me, one of the saddest verses in the Bible is Jacob's realization, "Surely the Lord was in this place and I wasn't even aware of it!" (Genesis 28:16) How easy it is to rush through life without appreciating what is most important! So, when I am home, I see this reminder every day: Surely the Lord is in this place.

A couple of days ago, I realized that I was missing my sign.

With the blossoming of spring flowers, my yard rock was overwhelmed.

Spring always brings me joy -- but, especially this year, it has been a special thrill in my new home to see where bulbs have been planted. So I have loved the daffodils. But, sure enough, they covered up the yard rock that speaks to me of God's presence.
And I think life is like that.
The overwhelm of heartache and adversity can keep us from recognizing God's presence. But it's not just the negative things that can obscure our ready recognition of God in our midst. The good things can grow like my daffodils and take away our clear view that God is with us.
The presence of the Lord is not the issue. Our recognition of that precious presence...that's the question. Surely the Lord is in this place...spring, summer, fall and winter 24/7 no matter how overwhelming life can be.

No comments:

Post a Comment