Friday, March 27, 2009

I should be a better person...

I know I should be a better person.
But basketball brings out the worst in me.
I grew up in Kentucky during the Adolph Rupp glory years. I didn't even know there was a major college sport until December. But once we kicked into basketball season, we did so with a vengeance. (Kentucky fans are the only fans on the planet who can be more impossible than Carolina fans. In my humble opinion.)
So, when we moved to North Carolina in 1984 -- a state known for its love of basketball, I knew I would fit right in. From the beginning, North Carolinians made it clear -- to really be part of the culture, you had to choose one team and stick with that team all the way. Since Duke was having great success (I prefer winning to losing) and since Duke was a Methodist school, my choice was easy. As the years went by, with two daughters and 3 Duke degrees later, my allegiance only intensified.
No, I didn't wear black today after Duke's disappointing loss last night. But I didn't have a very Christian attitude when a colleague of mine came to our cabinet meeting wearing a pale blue tie today. If I were a good Christian, I would have said, "Good luck" for the Carolina game (and meant it). But there I was, stuck between knowing I should be gracious and a burning desire for Carolina to lose tonight. And not just lose. Lose by 20 points. Or more. Actually, the more the better.
Now I know that doesn't make sense.
Carolina is now the only ACC team left in the tournament. It is our neighbor school. What is wrong with me? Just because my team is out, why should I wish the same misery on others?
Maybe it doesn't make sense, but it is reality. This is one of those choice points where we have to learn that the CULTURE way is not the CHRISTIAN way. At least I recognize that this profound bias is an unredeemed part of my life that has some distance to go in the moving-on-to-perfection department.
In terms of Christian faith, we are one family. All on the same team. Our basketball rivalries are fun (at least they are fun when my team is winning. Not so fun this year). But basketball rivalries are pretty much the opposite of the message of God's love for all and, since our season is over anyway, maybe this is the time to get some perspective. Maybe, through God's help, I could eventually get above the rivalry enough to say a genuine blessing for the Tarheels. Maybe I can get there. Probably not tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment