Friday, May 18, 2012

Small rearrangement of letters describes it all....

I don't know how those under the care of physicians got called "patients". I'm sure some google search engine could tell me. As I was staying up last night so I would be on schedule for my medications, I was laughing to myself (in a tired sort of way) how much "p-a-t-i-e-n-t-s" need P-A-T-I-E-N-C-E.
A nurse-friend on Facebook had just admonished me to be a good patient. My instinctive reaction was that, to be a good patient, I would need patience. Of all the kind things people have said about me through the years, outstanding patience with myself has never been high on the list. And here I am in a very important time of life where patience is a core practice. Patience for patients is not just one among many attributes. Patience for patients is essential.
Going into surgery catapults normal people into a new realm -- a temporary and healing way of life--but a shift from what is familiar. It requires patience. I didn't say that patience is a happy, optional attribute to have. I'm saying that in recovering from surgery, patience is absolutely necessary. Oh dear.
Recovery is a new routine that requires listening to yourself, following instructions and living with constant reminders of vulnerability. I don't score high on those characteristics either. I do well in listening to others, giving kind and wise advice and gratitude for the gift of each day. So I am finding that it works well for me to just give advice to myself. As it turns out, I have learned first hand that the advice I have often given as a pastor is healing guidance indeed. Nice to know.
"Be a good patient" is not only good advice for me as an individual recovering from surgery. "Be a good patient" is a generally good reminder to all physicians of body and soul -- notoriously the worst of all patients. Wise to notice...
I love to see people live into grace space for themselves. And now, for a couple of weeks while my body requires rest and I am not allowed to drive, I am going to live into intentional grace space for myself--praying that this experience will not only allow for healing--but deepen my heart to be a better pastor. Patients need patience. Lord, I am working on it--or, more accurately, life is working on me to become more patient.

No comments:

Post a Comment