Friday, May 25, 2012

My joyful hymn of praise

When I was a child, I thought the hymn "For the Beauty of the Earth" lasted forever. It reminded me of a child praying for every conceivable thing to keep from having to go to sleep at night. Every time the one-line refrain came around, ("Lord of all to thee we raise this our hymn of grateful praise..."), I knew we were one verse closer to the end.
Reflecting back on the last two weeks of recovery from surgery, I am caught up in the deeper essence of the hymn: an overflowing grateful heart. My list includes everything I have sung through the years...but my personal application makes the 6 verses of the hymn-in-the-hymbook look pitifully short.
For surgeons, nurses, hospitals and pain medications;
For the marvelous intricacies and healing nature of our bodies;
For the healing presence of loved ones;
For supportive and patient family members;
For help -- and offers of help--in times of physical weakness;
For expressions of love, support and prayers that nourish and sustain a recovering spirit;
For the many ways that pain is ameliorated --
a simple walk; resting in a comfortable chair; slip-on shoes; a warm shower; music; soft
clothes, blooming flowers, the balmy-but-not-hot weather, the clear sunshine.
For going to sleep in the majesty of thunderstorms and waking to the singing of birds;
For healthy food which nourishes and sleep that restores body and spirit;
For the love of others that is not dependent on what you can do for them;
For staff persons who carry on the work and devotedly protect my time to recover;
For the rich privilege of watching my body heal -- a visible, personal hope;
For a beautiful place to call home -- comfortable places to sit inside and outside
to pray and rest and soak in healing grace;
For the prayers of others linking love on earth with the riches of God's resources in heaven...

"Lord of all," this is just the beginning of my "hymn of grateful praise."

1 comment: