Tuesday, August 31, 2010

What If It Were Today?

My car is full of gas.
Since the doctor said the baby could come any time over two weeks ago, I have had the car packed with anything I would need for a several days' stay:
Medicine? Check.
Clothes? Check.
Toiletries? Check.
Favorite pillow? Check.
Camera with empty media card and charged battery? Check.
Gift bags to take to the hospital for the boys when the baby is born? Check.
Now, all I need is the phone call that my daughter is in labor and heading for the hospital. Check. Check. Check....

Living "ready" has been an interesting experience.
I never let the gas guage get below 3/4 tank.
I always have cash (in defiance of the young adult mentality that all you need to carry is your bank card...).
I make it a point to go on to bed at night and get plenty of sleep.
Being ready is more than being excited about the baby coming. Being ready takes thought and planning and care.

When I was a child growing up at revivals and camp meetings, there was a hymn: "Jesus is coming to earth again! What if it were today?" And, I guess other than the early Advent emphasis of the second coming of Christ, I haven't given a lot of thought to living ready. I believe I am ready. I have always dismissed the incessant infatuation with the Second Coming as speculation that is an unfortunate energy drain. Following Jesus closely is the best prescription I know for being ready.

In these days when I have been waiting for the arrival of my first grand daughter, I've thought more about living ready. In the onslaught of my work, there are times that my spiritual fuel get lower than 3/4 tank full. There are times that I am not careful to have the spiritual resources I need for whatever surprising circumstance is around the corner. I am not always careful to get the healing rest I need.

Waiting for our little Mia Rosalie to be born reminds me that maybe I haven't been living as ready for Jesus as I thought. I am completely ready for him in my heart. But maybe I should be more attentive to the practical applications of being ready. I need to continue to live ready long after Mia is born -- ready for the One who is even more important and precious than my granddaughter: Jesus, my Lord and Savior.

1 comment:

  1. Greetings from Wordwise Hymns. It was your title, and the reference to Lelia Morris's gospel song that caught my eye today. Do disagree with you a bit regarding what you call an "incessant infatuation with the second coming" of Christ.

    Yes, it's a hobby horse some preachers ride to the exclusion of other equally important themes. And I do cringe at the speculation that attaches biblical prophecy to current events with absolute certitude. I may agree with the speakers interpretation of Scripture, but his applications need to be made more tentatively, and with some humility!

    Having said this, however, the return of Christ is mentioned over 300 times in the New Testament, so it would seem important to proclaim it. The Apostle Paul speaks of a heavenly reward for "all who have longed for his appearing" (II Tim. 4:8, NIV). And he commends the Thessalonian Christians for their upward look (I Thess. 1:9-10). Almost the last word in the Scriptures gives us John's passionate plea for Christ's return.

    I agree we need to be attending to our responsibilities today, and not simply standing around gazing heavenward. But to my mind, "following Jesus closely" and joyfully anticipating and testifying to His return aren't mutually exclusive. Just a few thoughts. God bless.

    ReplyDelete