Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Barely holding back the tears...

My adorable 5 year old wonderful grandson starts kindergarten this week.
I can barely think about it without crying.
How did he get to be 5 in just the blink of an eye? Tyler (3) Connor (5)





He is the most amazing child.
I know, I have heard other grandparents gush over their grandchildren. But I am not exaggerating when I talk about my grandson. He is beautiful and affectionate and tender-hearted and lively and free-thinking and joyful about life.
He is also a tease. "Grammy," he said last week, "What is your favorite thing?" "My grandsons" I replied, immediately (thinking he was fishing for affirmation).
"What is your next favorite thing?" he asked. "Duke basketball", I replied.
Then he looked at me and solemnly announced, "Well, MY favorite thing is GOD."
Guess he showed me!
He fills me with love only grandparents could comprehend and, as you can see, keeps me on my toes. And now, he is going to KINDERGARTEN. It feels like the beginning of the end... He is ready and eager and I am holding back the tears.
For years, I have shared this essay with parents whose children are going to kindergarten...I re-did the "son" to "daughter" and sent it to the teachers when my daughters went to kindergarten--crying through every sentence. This year, it's for Connor:
Teach Him Gently...If You Can
My young son starts school tomorrow...it's all going to be strange and new for him for a while and I wish you would sort of treat him gently.
You see, up to now, he's been our little boy.
He's always been the boss of the backyard and his mother has always been around to repair his wounds and I have been there to soothe his feelings.
But now, things are going to be different...
This morning, he's going to walk down the steps, wave his hand and start out on the great adventure -- it's an adventure that will include heartache and tragedy and sorrow.
To live his life in the world he will live in
requires faith and love and courage.
So, world, I wish you would sort of take him by his young hand
and teach him the things he will have to know.
Teach him -- but gently--if you can.
He will have to learn that everyone is not just and not every one is true.
But teach him also that for every scoundrel there is a hero;
that for every selfish politician, there is a dedicated leader
that for every enemy, there is a friend.
It will take time, I know, but teach him, if you can
that a nickel earned is more valuable than a dollar found
Teach him to learn to lose -- and to enjoy winning.
Steer him away from envy, if you can and teach him the secret of quiet laughter.
Let him learn early not to be afraid of bullies and those who would do him wrong.
Teach him the wonder of books but also give him quiet time
to ponder the eternal mystery of birds in the sky, bees in the sun
and flowers on the hillside.
In school, world, teach him it is far more honorable to fail than to cheat...
Teach him to have faith in his own ideas, even if others laugh at his creativity.
Teach him to be gentle with gentle people and tough with tough people.
Try to give my son the strength not to follow the crowd
when everyone else is getting on the bandwagon.
Teach him to listen to everyone -- but teach him also to filter all hearts
on the screen of truth and take only the good that comes through.
Teach him, if you can, how to laugh when he is sad...
Teach him that there is no shame in tears...
Teach him there can be glory in failure and despair in success.
Teach him to scoff at cynics and to beward of too much sweetness.
Teach him to close his ears to a howling mob and stand up and fight for what is right.
Teach him gently, world, but don't coddle him.
I know that only the test of fire makes fine steel.
Let him have the courage to be impatient and the patience to be brave.
Teach him to have faith in himself and most of all, to have faith in the God
who will be with him wherever he goes.
adapted from unknown author
I thank God for this amazing little boy, my grandson. And pray that his adventure of life learning always guides him toward his best self.
May God bless and guide parents and teachers and everyone who serves as an example for our beloved little ones.
And help me not to cry too much as my little man heads to kindergarten.

No comments:

Post a Comment