Friday, March 16, 2012

An unexpected question

As I ate lunch, I was preparing myself for a meeting that afternoon that was going to require my best patience and wisdom. So I was startled when a young man sat down and said, "Are you a minister?"
To begin with, the question itself was kind of fun. The question I am more familiar with goes like this: "You're a minister? REALLY? You're kidding, aren't you?" After 30 years of ministry, a female preacher is still a new idea to some. So I considered it progress for someone to have the idea that I was a minister. Since he had already seated himself, so I didn't have time to follow that through.
"Yes, I am" I replied.
"United Methodist?"
"Yes."
"Good. The Holy Spirit has sent me over to talk to you."
Now that is an attention-getting conversation opener.
"What do you think about the future of the church."
This is an answer I already know in my heart: "I think the best days of the church are ahead of us."
Then it was his time to pause in the conversation.
"Really?"
"Absolutely."
"Why do you think THAT?"
"Because the challenges of the changed culture are opening doors for us to be the truly committed and compassionate Christ-followers that are hallmarks of our Methodist heritage."
This was not the answer he had expected.
He went on to tell me that the Bible was "out the window" of his church and that he and his Sunday School class had been lamenting the "downfall" of the church. I encouraged him to take heart -- that there has never been a day when the church has been more challenged to its best, most fervent, most loving witness in the world. It's a great day for the church and God is opening all kinds of opportunities for us to be in witness and service.
I got the idea that he had wanted to do more lamenting about the faults of the church. And I see those a-plenty. If anything, the ministry of superintendency keeps me painfully aware of the shortcomings of the church and people in the church. And yet, the change and the competition of the culture is giving the church an open door unlike any other time in my life: a demand that church be its best in worship, dedication and service -- and that Christians be the authentic, vibrant, giving, forgiving, loving people that make Christ's love visible in the world. What a gift that challenge is!
I know there are many who would rather lament and nostalgically wish for the days when the culture cradled the church. I celebrate the opportunity for the church to live beyond the routine to bring God's love to a needy world. People in this contentious, anxious, stretched-too-thin, always-under-pressure culture need the peace and joy and power of Christ's love. What great resources the gospel provides for us to share! The challenge for us to share at our creative best -- that is what I consider a welcome opportunity. Who wants to take a magnificent gift like the love of Christ and convey that great love in a half-hearted, routine or stagnant ways?
I was surprised at the timing of the question with my surprise lunch guest. But the answer was deeply planted in my heart. If we keep our eyes on Christ -- first and foremost and always--the best days of the church are ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment