Saturday, December 31, 2011

My new favorite Christmas carol...

I love the traditional--especially at Christmas. Even with a very traditional background, ministry in this time in history has already made my life untraditional. In this rapidly changing culture, holding onto a few traditional things gives special joy. I cherish the Christmas traditions and music is at the top of the list of precious things.
So it never occurred to me that a favorite of centuries could be improved on.
My four year old grandson showed me differently.
Mark and Mary Allen were having a discussion about the boys' favorite Christmas songs. "Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer" was #1 on the list. Prodding them to think of a church Christmas song, Connor offered, "Mark the Herald Angel Sings". :) Then Tyler, apparently the theologian, gave this brilliant improvement for a carol I have loved for decades: "O Come and Be Faithful".
"O come and be faithful". Now, there's an idea.
Tyler has changed the old favorite for me forever. I'll never sing it again without thinking about his words. May we come and BE faithful...joyful and triumphant.

No comments:

Post a Comment