Monday, July 11, 2011

Preachers! People! Please pay attention!

Please, please, please, please, please pay attention to what you say -- especially when leading worship.
Honestly, if one more preacher prays, "God, we ask you to come be with us for worship", I am going to SCREAM. Out loud.
I understanding that asking God to be present is a common practice. Misguided, but common. When that is done in a United Methodist setting, I really do feel fingernails on the chalkboard.
Why would we ask God to BE present when we Wesleyans have such deep convictions about prevenient grace -- the grace that goes before us? God gets to church (and everywhere else) befor the the first person arrives. God goes ahead of us in all things.
We don't have to ask for God's presence. In reality, we couldn't keep God out if we tried. The psalmist writes eloquently "Where shall I go to flee from your spirit? ....If I make my bed in hell, you are there." So what makes us think that God might not show up at church if we didn't beg him to come?
Please, please, please, please, please! Especially when leading worship, it's important to choose words that match our beliefs! Stop asking for God to show up. Start paying attention and asking people to open their hearts to the God who is graciously and pervasively present. That is one of our most important beliefs.
I don't want to make a scene at worship. But "Lord, keep your hand around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth" is not going to be a prayer adequate for me if I keep hearing preachers pray for God to be present. God beat you there! Pay attention, folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment