Thursday, April 15, 2010

First words

I believe that words matter.
I know that video is compelling and interactive is energizing. But words still matter. Simple phrases can turn life upside down: "I'm pregnant." "I don't love you anymore". "You're fired." Words matter.
And just like first impressions matter, first words matter.
The Scripture doesn't tell us if Jesus planned, prayed or pondered over his first words after His resurrection. What we know is that His first words to His disciples are amazing. According to John's Gospel, the first words of Jesus to his gathered disciples after His resurrection were words of peace. Hmmm. "Peace be unto you."
Peace to a group of men who had gone to sleep on him in his hour of need, denied him and deserted him. I don't think "peace be unto you" would have been my first words.
Peace to a group of disciples who were huddled together in a locked room even though Jesus had sent a personal witness to his resurrection.
"Peace be unto you"? I would have said, "Why are you locked away in this room after I sent Mary to tell you the glorious good news?"
And, eight days later, Jesus finds them again in a locked room.
"Peace be unto you"? I am sure that isn't what I would have said. After appearing to them in person, showing them His hands and side and still finding them locked room, I would have said, "What are you doing up here? What do I have to do to get the message across?" Not "peace be unto you".
The resurrected Jesus came to bring peace to His followers.
He didn't appear to them to point out their failures or inadequacies. He came to bring them peace.
He sought them out. He brought them peace.
With all the fear and condemnation in our culture, it doesn't seem to me that we have received the gift of the Risen Christ. Peace. Peace. The peace of Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment