Thursday, July 16, 2009

The most important healing grace...

Nobody has better doctors than I do--a very gifted internal medicine doctor who has detected two life-threatening conditions in the last two years; two extraordinary endoctrinologists (one in Statesville, one at Duke) and brilliant surgeons in Charlotte and at Duke. It's the best medical training and practice anyone could ever hope for. And in addition, my physician sister reads, evaluates and advises me every step of the way. I have absolutely the most abundant blessings imaginable when it comes to medical care.
I have seen first hand the best of medical technology/equipment/facilities both in Charlotte and at Duke. From a simple marvel to swallowing a camera to take a movie of my damaged vocal chords to innovative surgery techniques to high-tech scans. I have had the best.
I am grateful. I am SO grateful.
Don't think for one minute that I lack gratitude when I say that these exceptional blessings are gifts I cherish -- but not where I base my hope.
I have trusted my medical doctors. I have followed their advice to the letter.
As grateful as I am, the healing that grounds my life goes beyond the best doctors and medical technology. Yes, my life has, literally, been saved these last two years. And I plan to make the most of this gift.
But the save is temporary. All the best technology, the best team of doctors and all the prayers in the world cannot save me from the temporary nature of life. And that's why the ground of my grateful life isn't resting in even my most extraordinary doctors. The strength of the healing I've experienced reminds me of the vulnerability of life. God has been an integral part of the remarkable healing experiences of my life. And, when medical science comes to its inevitable limits--whenever that it-- God is going to continue to heal my life beyond this world in greater ways.
The ground of my hope, the foundation of my life, the sure and certain anchor of my soul is the Great Physician. And, from that great ground of love, I say thanks for the physicians, medical technology and prayers that have extended my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment