Friday, January 2, 2009

Covered by God's love


This picture is a treasure to me.

As I was having a few quiet minutes to read on a retreat, Ann Starrette took this picture. Amazing.

There's a lot that the photo doesn't show, too.

The photo doesn't show that this was taken just one week after my surgery for thyroid cancer. A close-up picture would show where my throat had been cut, literally from one side to another. The photo doesn't show the tiredness that I felt as my body recuperated from a complicated, 5 hour surgery.

The photo doesn't show how the thyroid cancer turned my schedule and energy upside down -- on top of a year full of major transitions.

But the photo shows what is most important: the ways that the light of God's love covers us in beautiful ways even in our low points.


I don't post the picture because it is me.

While I freely admit that I broke out in tears when I saw the picture and this particular picture was a great gift to me in a very hard time, I share the picture because I am sure that God's love is beautifully breaking through for all. God doesn't love me one smidgeon more than anyone else. Everyone doesn't have the great gift of someone with a camera to capture the moment like this. May it be a reminder of God's extraordinary love for us all...


3 comments:

  1. This photo is just beautiful Reverand Dye! Surely God's light is surrounding you to give you his much needed strength during your recuperation. God Bless you and we are sending you are continued prayers for the new year.
    Kelly Ross: Bethel United Methodist Church, Longview, NC

    ReplyDelete
  2. This photo is beautiful and a physical reminder to all of us of God's presence. I am so thankful that God has given you to us as our DS and very thankful he blessed you with wonderful Doctors and a healing touch. I hope you continue to regain your health- God has so much in store for us!

    Aryn Williams- St. Lukes UMC

    ReplyDelete