Saturday, January 17, 2009

By all means, keep praying!

We United Methodists believe that people in all vocations have a sacred calling and a holy responsibility. But, I can't imagine a higher privilege than serving as a pastor. There are plenty of headaches and discouragements that go along with ministry. But the joys are sweet beyond description.
Let me tell you about one of my most recent precious moments:

In this new connectional place of service, I really miss the constant contact with children. Making memories with children has a special place in my heart. This week, a child made a memory for me. The memory came via his mother's report of her kindergartener who has been praying for me even though I am no longer his pastor.
This fall, as I was going through my diagnosis/surgery time, little Aidan was praying "God bless Pastor Mary John and help her through her surgery." When I had to have followup treatments, Aidan was praying, "God bless Pastor Mary John and help her heal." Just that report would have been touching enough! A kindergartener who was thoughtful enough to pray for me every night even after I moved!
Now that the crisis-with-cancer time is over, evidently Aidan is still praying for me. See if you don't agree that this is the sweetest prayer I could hope for: "God bless Pastor Mary John even though she is healed."
With the wisdom of a child, Aidan knows what many adults forget: prayer is not just for crises and emergencies. Yes, Aidan, please keep praying! Yes, friends, pastors and churches, please keep praying! My need for prayers doesn't end with the conclusion of the cancer treatments. The need for prayer is a constant, ongoing, always-relevant gift.
Can we take this snapshot and, in addition to a warm heart, take up a challenge to prayer? We are all, truly, standing in the need of prayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment