Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Child's questions rings a bell

December 10, 2008

Forty years ago, I was ringing bells for the Salvation Army. That was my job for Christmas break. Although the Salvation Army was founded by Methodists, John and Catherine Booth, I didn’t know much about our denominational cousins until I went to college. And it was through a college friendship that I got the job, and it was only because my father and my friend’s father had been in college together that my parents let me go to ring bells in New York City. Grand Central Station was my kettle spot. What an experience. The other thing you need to know is that I am the queen of memorabilia. Having lived in a parsonage from birth until this June, my home has always been uniquely mine because of the pictures and memorabilia I have saved and carried with me from appointment to appointment. Two weeks ago, my Salvation Army experience and my biblically astute grandson came together. Connor and I have been reading since he came into this world. I have pictures of his daddy reading the creation story to him the day they brought the baby home from the hospital. But now, the Bible stories hold a special intrigue for him. Connor is especially fascinated with the story of Moses. He can tell you the story of the baby Moses in the river; the story of Moses at the burning bush. The story of Moses and Pharaoh is one of his favorites. I don’t get to do much reading at this one. Connor says, “Moses said, ‘LET MY PEOLE GO!’ with dramatic emphasis. My part is to say, “And what did pharaoh say?” Connor says, “Pharaoh says NO WAY!” with equal emphasis. Then, pausing pensively, Connor says, “If God says ‘Let my people go’, Pharaoh should say ‘yes.’ What’s wrong with that Pharaoh? Grammy, that guy had a problem. I don’t know what it is, but you should figure it out.” He’s so serious – and, of course, he has a good point – I try to keep from laughing out loud. And then, we get to the Red Sea where Pharaoh has changed his mind and comes after the Hebrew children. The scene, as we all know, is very dramatic: The Egyptian army on one side; the Red Sea on the other and the Hebrew children in big trouble. We are always thrilled that God parts the Red Sea and then the Egyptian army gets drowned. Connor is fascinated with the bullies and the bad guys – like Goliath. And, in this story, it is the Egyptian army – the only army he has ever heard about. Connor is also wonderfully, uninhibitedly curious. So a couple of weeks ago, he found my memorabilia – the bell I have kept from my Grand Central Station experience 40 years ago and my Salvation Army cap. “What’s this?” he asked. I explained that it was my bell and my hat from when I was in the Salvation Army. Words can’t describe the look of surprise on his face. He was clearly shocked. His eyes opened wide and, with a trembling, incredulous voice he said, “Grammy, YOU were in the Egyptian army?” I quickly reassured him that I was not in the Egyptian Army working for Pharaoh. (Never mind how ancient THAT would make me! ) I quickly told him that there were other armies than the Egyptian army in the story of Moses – and I was working for a good army – the Salvation Army – an army that helped people. He seemed greatly relieved. Although my employment with the Salvation Army was a month-long December in college, my affection and respect for our sister denomination has continued throughout my life. And, although I have been serving under a United Methodist flag, I can tell Connor that I have been working in a salvation army – an army that works for Jesus to help people. The funny conversation between Connor and me raises a question we all should take a look at. Take away the name Egyptian for the army of the forces of this world and don’t stumble on the particular, unique brand of “Salvation Army.” Which army are you serving in? Will your grandchildren be proud or horrified by the service you are rendering? I could visibly see the relief that Connor felt when I assured him I had not been in the Egyptian army years ago. (I’m pretty relieved myself that I wasn’t in the Egyptian army of Pharaoh!) And, although I don’t wear the uniform and ring the bell that is so familiar during this season, I do want – like John the Baptist – to declare the importance of taking stock in our lives and turning to the good; encouraging us to work for God and have personal stories of a noble nature to tell our grandchildren.

No comments:

Post a Comment