Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Cherishing each gift

     Sunday's celebration of the Statesville District will always be a high  moment in my heart.  The thoughtful people in the District went above and beyond in making a memory for us all.  The gifts of a "Day of Tranquility and Peace" at a spa, the exquisite full set of liturgical pottery by a Catawba County potter and, of course, the one-of-a-kind "Email Champion" trophy are all visible treasures of the kingdom-building joy we have shared together.
     These visible gifts will remind me of the many heart gifts that have been exchanged as we have shared ministry together.  I cherish most highly the churches that have found strength through their struggles and health through hard times.  I am proud of the constructive members of churches who braved criticism and conflict because of their love for their church.  I have been so inspired by the ways churches have taken on the challenge to share Christ in new and vital ways:  alliances with schools, community meals, community gardens, bridge events to reach out to people in the community, service projects, wood-cutting ministries, prayer shawl outreach: a multitude of bright spots.
      I treasure all the ways that we have grown -- recognizing imperfections, admitting shortcomings, hungering to learn new ways to share Christ, developing healthy practices for leadership, deepening commitment to stewardship and embracing (instead of resisting) the way the world has changed.
     I appreciate the thanks from laity and clergy across the district for the way God has been able to do a healing, building work among them.  Every time someone said, "Thank you", I knew that other people were really the ones responsible for equipping me to be able to do the work I have done:  my parents who raised me in the church and taught me to stay grounded when people are at their worst;  those laity who encouraged me and blessed me and affirmed me and did what was right for the church when times were tough;  a bishop and cabinet colleagues who have a firm commitment to supporting pastors and laity who take a stand for Christ.  Those are the people who really deserve the thanks for any good I have been able to do.
     Just as those people and experiences equipped me for the work of superintendency, my prayer is that what we have shared together in the Statesville District will continue to bear fruit of inspiration and encouragement and hope and help as new challenges come.  Let us go into life's new challenges with grateful hearts.

No comments:

Post a Comment