Sunday, April 22, 2012

Daily Fountain of love

My mother taught me that love is best experienced and understood in consistent, daily doses. That's the way she undergirded my life with love and that was her practice of love to God and her family every day of her life.

In my mother's care, I learned that God's love is absolutely dependable. No matter what the circumstances of adversity or hardship or challenge, Mother showed me that God was loving and providing and that faith would see us through.

Mother grew up on a farm in the northwestern part of Kansas. Tending the farm was a daily process. There was no doing chores when you felt like it. There was no such thing as feeding the chickens or milking the cows every now and then. The work was daily. Nourishment was daily. Faith had to be daily, too.
How perfect that, years later, Earth Day would be commemorated on the same day my mother was born. She lived a beautiful example of Christian life each day. She loved, cherished, nurtured and tended the world and the people in her sphere. I am enriched every day by her love.
I believe because of Mother's daily tending that I have known in my core that a worship service on Sunday, no matter how great, is enough to sustain faith for the challenges of each day. Her life and the consistent biblical witness is that it takes time for people to process and apply faith. Even when the news is great -- like the resurrection--figuring out the personal impact takes time. Patience is a lifeline to living the love of Christ.
Every day is a fresh faith walk. Thanks, Mom, for trusting God's mercies are new every morning and for showing a life that blossomed with a fresh and full application of God's love every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment