Sunday, May 8, 2011

God couldn't be everywhere....???

"God couldn't be everywhere, that's why He created mothers".... a saying that adorns stationery, note pads, desk signs, carry-alls, shirts. That little phrase is everywhere.

I am a big fan of honoring mothers. Believe me, I am.
And I applaud sentiments that show appreciation to mothers. Put them on billboards, bumper-stickers -- the works! But not this one. This "God couldn't be everywhere, that's why He created mothers" should not be repeated anywhere. It is TERRIBLE theology.
God IS everywhere. At their best, mothers show and share God's love...but they are present because God can't get around everywhere. That's more like Santa Claus on Christmas Eve night. God ISeverywhere -- for mothers, for children, for fathers, for everyone, married or single no matter where they live. God is ALWAYS everywhere. Psalm 139 states it so clearly: "Where can I go from your spirit? Or where can I flee from your presence? If I ascend to heaven, you are there. If I make my bed in Sheol, you are there. If I take the wings of the morning and settle at the farthest limits of the sea even there your hand shall lead me and your right hand shall hold me fast." (Psalm 139: 7-10)

I never cease to be amazed at how people can listen to a phrase like this and, contrary to everything the church has taught for years, smile and unquestioningly ooh and goo over sentiment. People need to think about things! There are plenty of phrases that may sell merchandise, but the message (however well-intended) is terrible.

God IS everywhere. And I thank God for mothers who have the opportunity to make God's presence visible.

No comments:

Post a Comment