Sunday, April 24, 2011

Happy Easter!

















HAPPY EASTER! Happy Easter! Happy Easter!

Gorgeous spring weather.

Adorable grandchildren.

Wonderful daughters.

Inspiring worship.

Warm family gathering.

Excited boys at the family Easter egg hunt.

Great food.

Wonderful memories. More to come...


I give thanks for every single feature of this day. And more.

But none of those things are what makes Easter happy.


Easter is a day of powerful joy because Easter is the day when Christ showed that, in the face of the world's worst, God is victorious.


From one Easter to the next, I am always mindful that we do not know the obstacles, difficulties, heartaches, setbacks, meanness and cruelty that lie ahead. The glory of the Easter celebration (and, truly, every Sunday of the year is a 'mini-Easter' no matter what the season) is that no matter what setbacks or horrors, God is victorious.


Easter means that no matter what the diagnosis, no matter what the economic conditions, no matter what unforseen accident or tragedy may come, God is victorious.


Easter means that whether we -- or those we love--walk through the valley of the shadow of death, God is victorious.


Easter Sunday reminds us that in ways beyond what we could see or believe, God is doing a mighty healing work -- a victorious, transforming work --to make all things right.


When I prayed for each of my churches and pastors this morning by name (as is my Sunday morning custom), I prayed that they would have glorious worship experiences. I have prayed that our people would, in addition, have wonderful family gatherings where we reinforce and bless the love shared in our family relationships.


But my greatest prayer is that people will not base their security on anything except the powerful, transforming, victorious love of Christ. That love -- and that love alone--is the ground of our hope.


I am grateful for my wonderful family. I am grateful for the church and for worship and for friendships. I am grateful for today's beautiful weather and I am oh, so grateful for my children and precious grandchildren. But had I only been able to spend Easter by myself or in the company of those I did not know, Easter would still be a day of unspeakable joy, reassurance and power. Easter is happy because of Jesus. Everything--and everyone-- else is an added blessing to Jesus Christ, the solid rock and anchor of LIFE.

No comments:

Post a Comment