Tuesday, March 15, 2011

More Grace, Less Griping

I do not remember exactly the first time I met Grace Blanton, but I took an instant liking to her. Passionate about her faith, opinionated in every other subject and not afraid to say so, I loved her honesty, her confidence, her fearlessness and her giving spirit. Her take-no-prisoners bluntness is balanced by her compassionate heart...and her lay-it-on-the-line observations are always refreshing to the superficial politeness that characterizes too much of church conversation.
I could never thank her enough for all the kind -- often attempted anonymous--good deeds she did for me. While I was her pastor, I couldn't help but be attracted to her colorful personality. So I was surprised when, one day, Grace said, "You shouldn't be spending your time visiting me." Looking straight at me, she said, "I'm already saved. You should be spending your time with people who don't know Jesus." Never thinking about herself -- however discouraging her situation--she was always pointing me to someone who would "really" need me.
I have never asked Grace her age. I guess her children know. But she is just not the kind of person you ask that question to. But she had been a member of the church for decades and was a member of one of the Sunday School class with my most senior members. When she chastized me, she was well into the category affectionately known as senior.
Grace in so many ways is the exception -- but, in my opinion, should be the MODEL for church members who are in the 55+ category. Since I'm in that category myself, I'm partial to this group of the faithful. And my highest hopes -- and expectations--are that this is the group that should model the greatest maturity, the greatest selflessness, the greatest vision and commitment to Christ and the church. My hopes are based on the important -- and very Methodist--premise that the longer we walk with Jesus, the more our lives should reflect Jesus. Those who have committed their lives to Christ decades ago should be the best forgivers, the kindest, the most loving of all Christians.
In reality, I am sad to say that most of my age group of church members don't show the selflessness Grace lived to me. Too many times, the people who have loved the church the longest are the loudest voices against change. When it is brought to the attention of people that the church needs to focus on young people (who are missing), too often, it's the members of my group -- those who have loved the church the longest--who immediately respond by saying: "But what about US?" Over and over again, when I ask PPRCs about the priorities for their pastor, even when the church desperately needs evangelism and outreach and programming for youth and young adults, PPRC members (many of them seniors themselves) say the priority is to visit the seniors.
They need a dose of Grace. And what great things could God work in the church if there was more Grace and less self-absorption and entitlement.
I am often discouraged -- but I not going to stop hoping or praying for seniors to be the most unselfish, Christlike members of all. Those of us who have loved the church and walked with Christ the longest should be leading the way in unselfishness and love for others.

No comments:

Post a Comment