Sunday, October 10, 2010

A small shift -- but a BIG difference

I was excited at the change of questions for churches at Charge Conference. The annual report of the church's activities has, in my opinion, not served churches well. Giving a report of the state of the church has, most of the time, turned into a list of activities. Very often, it is a comprehensive list of ALL the church's activities for the past year--which can be heard with very little insight into the state of the church. And, much more important than the "state of the church" is how people are growing in their relationship to God.
So this year, we are asking a different question...a more important question:
WHERE HAVE YOU SEEN GOD IN THE LIFE OF YOUR CHURCH and
WHAT DIFFERENCE HAS YOUR CHURCH MADE IN YOUR COMMUNITY?
I talked about the change with my pastors face-to-face. I sent a letter to every Administrative Council chairs describing the change. I thought that would be a clear introduction to the change of question.
I was wrong.
My Charge Conference experience so far this year has taught me that when people are used to doing things one way, no matter what you have on the paperwork, no matter what you have said to them, they are going to do what they are used to doing. I introduce each Charge Conference with a little explanation of the change of what we are asking from the churches. I explain that the shift is prayerful and deliberate...that this year, we are asking for a TESTIMONY, not a report of activities. People politely sit there and nod affirmingly. And then, when it is time for the report of the church, they do exactly what I have said we are not going to do this year. Amazing.
This week, one church read a list of activities. I thanked them. And then I repeated the question: "What we want to hear in our Charge Conference setting is where you have seen God in the life of your church and what difference has it made in the community. I'll give you a minute to think about it."
I am certain that this church -- and others--were not trying to be uncooperative when they made their list of activities for the Charge Conference report. They were just doing what they were used to doing. I don't want to embarrass any one (or any church) at Charge Conference, but I think it is of prime importance for them to answer the question we are asking: WHERE HAVE YOU SEEN GOD IN THE LIFE OF YOUR CHURCH?
Just because a chicken pie supper is held at the church doesn't mean anyone has seen God at work through that activity. Just because a Sunday School class visits shut-ins once a month doesn't mean that they have seen God in their visits. Just because a church held a community-wide worship service on Good Friday doesn't mean they have seen God in that service. In fact, my experience says that the longer the tradition (of the barbeque, the outreach, the joint workship service--whatever) the less people recognize God at work in the activity. Whether it is fundraisers or projects, a sense of obligation sets in and it seems to be harder for people to see how God has been active in their midst.
Our activities tell about our effort. This year, we are asking people to focus on God and how they have seen God active in their midst. And if that is a huge shift of mindset for people, then I think the church has been failing to ask the right question for a long time. And unintentionally, perhaps, we have let people think that their activities, just because they were church activities, were kingdom-building and faith-enhancing. In our hearts, we all know that is not so. We know plenty of church activities that only bring tiredness and discouragement.
I didn't think the change of question was a major shift. But apparently it is.
That's fine. We're just going to keep at it. Because the church, of all places, should be clear on where and how God is working in life. The Christian, of all persons, should be clear on where we see God at work in our lives. So I'll keep explaining. I'll keep reminding. I'll persist until people answer the question they have been given. Not "What have you done?" but "Where have you seen God at work?"

No comments:

Post a Comment