Friday, July 16, 2010

Loving the questions

Oh, how I miss the theological exchanges that come in the course of pastoral ministry!
While I was raise in a church that valued the ANSWERS, I have grown to value the place of QUESTIONS and making room for questions.
This week, I called into a doctor's office with questions about an upcoming procedure. The receptionist said, "I'll have the nurse call back with the answer." To which I replied, "But you don't know my question!" The church of my life has often been like that -- giving an answer before knowing the question. Sometimes, it's the questions that make us grow most.
I've been thinking all week about a heartfelt and sincere question that was asked to my father by a young adult who has a very bright theological mind. The context was following a funeral of a wonderfully committed, devout Christian father, grandfather, great-grandfather. The funeral service included The Apostle's Creed...which led to my friend's question: "I've always wondered why the Creed jumps immediately from the birth of Jesus to his suffering and death, leaving out his life." I had to say it again to myself, kind of like I sing the songs with the disciples' names or the alphabet song to get the order right. But right there were the familiar words that made his question jump out: "born of the Virgin Mary, suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, dead and buried." I've repeated that creed thousands of times.
Now, because of the thoughtful question, I found myself asking the same thing: What about the LIFE of Jesus? What about the TEACHING of Jesus? What about the EXAMPLE of Jesus? Where is our affirmation of THAT?"
My view of the church from this post led to the immediate observation that, basically, church folks celebrate Christmas, sometimes remember the Passion, celebrate Easter and live as though the life, teaching and example of Jesus didn't mean a thing. Too many people's lives seem to indicate that the birth and death/resurrection are Sunday celebrations and everything in between is neglible. Just skip over the example of Jesus' love of sinners and forgiveness for all. Just ignore Jesus' clear warnings about the spiritual seduction of riches. By all means, don't get serious about loving others the way Jesus loved us. To hear some people talk -- people who quickly label themselves as Christians--care for the poor and welcome to the stranger are anti-Christian strategies to appeal to political correctness.
I doubt that a movement to enlarge the Apostles Creed would gain much traction. But maybe we could learn to remember that when we affirm the birth, suffering, death and resurrection of Christ that those are the bookends to a life that each of us are called to emulate. Thanks, dear friend, for the question. I, for one, will never say the Apostles Creed again without thinking about the life of Christ. We make our affirmation of the life of Christ in the way we live.

No comments:

Post a Comment