Tuesday, June 22, 2010

I couldn't believe it.

I know it sounds silly, but I almost corrected the Bishop on Sunday morning of Annual Conference. Preparing to confirm the Statesville District appointments, he introduced me as the superintendent for the 3rd year. And it startled me. I was concentrating on not stumbling on the line "The Statesville District appointments are correct as printed" (not a big line, but at least one of us stumbles on it each year). So when he said I was coming back on the cabinet for year 3, I thought, "No way. That couldn't be. I am just getting started." Mentally, I had to count it out because that just didn't sound right to me.
Maybe if he said I was finishing year 2, the year wouldn't have jolted me so. There has been so much to learn on this job, I still feel like a novice. Even if it is year 3. Learning and growing is important in every role in life. Through the years, what joy I have had in learning new things serving churches as a pastor! But, on the cabinet, I've had more to learn than ever before. This is a short list of what I have learned about being on the cabinet:
People who serve the church on the cabinet have to have an extraordinary commitment to the church which must be continually renewed and deepened. This commitment is a vital counterbalance to the discouragement of situations that continually come to our attention.
People who serve the church on the cabinet must have deep spiritual roots that are constantly renewed. Pastors, of course, also need deep spiritual roots. But the pastoral life in a local church has built-in healing rhythms of spiritual encouragement. Yes, there are discouraging experiences in local church ministry. But the faith-depleting experiences are cradled in the healing, renewing of regular preaching, sweet moments by hospital bedsides, baptisms, serving communion, DISCIPLE Bible studies and other uplifting, inspiring experiences. Life on the cabinet doesn't have built-in healing rhythms.
People who serve the church on the cabinet need to be good judges of character. Pastors, of course, need to be good judges of character. But it was easier to wisely size up a person or situation when church life offered so many different contexts to understand people. And the willingness of people to exaggerate, misrepresent and out-right lie is astounding. Getting a true picture is complicated. Patience, persistence and perspective are daily requirements.
People who serve the church on the cabinet need to be unafraid of conflict, difficulties and church bullies. I don't know anyone who enjoys conflict. Knowing how to navigate conflict is at the essential core of this work. That's a continual learning curve.
People who serve the church on the cabinet have to be willing to be scapegoats. DS's are the connecting link in the connectional church. Add to the mix that, with the culture shift, we are a church that has to change and if there's anything the church resists, it's change. We serve a volatile mix. People are stressed and angry and anxious and that shows. Anyone who lives in a family understands this dynamic. Every pastor has experience with this. The cabinet factor is that there are multi-levels where we are scapegoats: with congregations, with pastors and with all kinds of groups with complaints, concerns and frustrations. Taking misunderstandings, frustrations and outbursts in stride is a constant, ongoing challenge. Humility is built into the daily fabric of the work.
Maybe the nature of the work and the constant demand of the learning curve is why I hadn't noticed how time had flown or why, by now, I feel I should know more than I do about this work. These are life areas that always have to be renewed, deepened and expanded.
I am beginning year 3. Unbelievable.

No comments:

Post a Comment