Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Change that lasts...

New Year's resolutions to change are so fleeting! Early in January, people start joking about how their resolve has already evaporated.
Then early in the spring, Lent rolls around and offers another chance to self-discipline and focusing on priorities. Through my years as a pastor, people seemed skeptical, surprised and then delighted to learn that Sundays are exempt from the fasts of Lent. Sunday after Sunday, people enjoyed the tea, chocolate, cokes, desserts that they had given up for Lent until the final joyful celebration of Easter.
I have lost count of how many years I have given up something for Lent. I've given up diet coke, tea, chocolate, dessert, reading the newspaper. Each year, I try to honestly give up something that I will really miss. Confirmands used to try to get me to bless their decision to give up broccoli. Usually, it only took one question to discover that they don't eat broccoli to begin with. Clever approach, but no deal.
Every year, giving up something for Lent is a learning experience and, at Easter, I know I'm the better for it. Most years, when I get to Easter, I happily resume my former habits. This past year, however, Lent made a lasting difference.
I decided to give up the morning news.
That may not sound like much. But it was a big change of routine for me. Getting out of bed in the morning and turning on the morning news was basically one single action for me. I have always been a news junkie. I read 3 newspapers every day, several weekly papers as well as internet news, television news and National Public Radio news. I just like knowing what is going on. So watching the early morning news was as natural as breathing.
Last year, I gave up tv in the morning because it was a change of routine that mattered. I decided I wouldn't watch the morning news at all and I wouldn't read a newspaper until after my daily Bible reading. The first few days were hard. I was sorely tempted to cheat. Since I live alone, who would know?
But I stuck with my resolve. I didn't cheat. And I began to notice a big difference in my disposition. I realized that I didn't start the day nearly as frazzled or tense. Challenges were still there, problems demanding attention --but I started out more centered. Until I gave it up, I didn't realize how much tension my passion for the news was creating in my life. Last year, once Easter came, I stayed with the lesson my Lenten discipline had taught me. In addition, I added another component: I stopped watching the 11:00 news. I found it was a lot easier to go to sleep peacefully if I hadn't just filled my head with the traumas and tragedies of the day.
Last year's Lent gave me a learning opportunity and change that has lasted--a lesson that has blessed me every day.
Lent is a laboratory of learning. And what good are lessons if we don't apply them to life? That's the adventure of growing in Christian love--that's how abundant life in Christ gets enriched by walking in faithfulness.
This year, may Lent bring lessons of sacrifice that bless and lead us to maturity.

No comments:

Post a Comment