Saturday, January 9, 2010

Morning's miracle...

I have developed a special joy in a new routine to begin the day...watching the miracle of sunrise. I get up before the sun rises and sit in my reading chair looking out into my back yard. And, in the still darkness, a miracle gently takes place right before my eyes. At first, the light is almost imperceptible. But, slowly, it is all-encompassing. Whether the temperature is cold or hot, whether it is snow or sun, whether I am tired or rested, whether the day is reasonably or overwhelmingly full, God's morning miracle takes place.
And the watching the darkness turn to light is a daily experience of renewed hope...remembering that when all other light has been snuffed out by all manner of cruelty and meanness and selfishness and ego, Jesus is the light of the world AND the darkness has never overcome it. No matter how deep the darkness gets, the light comes every morning.
And the gift of light comes without my doing a thing to make it happen--a blessed reminder.
Just as surely, God is at work in my day.
It's easy to sleep through the sunrise and take light for granted. But that is missing the chance to see a miracle unfold. And, maybe if I begin with the dawning day's miracle, I will be more likely to see the other ways that God is at work throughout the day turning and changing and dependably working for good in life's darkness.

No comments:

Post a Comment