Tuesday, November 24, 2009

A sweet sign...

I am home for the whirlwind holidays of Thanksgiving. A whirlwind because it includes my nephew's birthday (today he is 17), my father's birthday (on Saturday, he will be 88), Thanksgiving and a special worship service on Sunday where my home church is honoring Daddy for his birthday and 66 years of UM ministry...
But, tonight, we did what our family does: we went to church.
Tonight was the community Thanksgiving service here in Frankfort.
The sanctuary at South Frankfort Presbyterian Church was filled. The participating clergy filled up the front two rows. The music was great. The sermon, in call and response black style, was rousing. And then the pastor from the Church of God got up to give the benediction. He looked out across the congregation of Baptists, Methodists, Presbyterians, Pentecostals, white and black, young and old. Then he said, "Look around you. We are all races and all denominations and we are all people Jesus died to save. This is what heaven is going to look like. And, if you don't like it, you'd better learn to get used to it."
I'm still struggling with laryngitis (residual from an unusally demanding weekend) and the only way to get my voice back is to rest it. (Now THAT is hard!) But, as fragile as my voice is, I really wanted to say AMEN. Amen! Amen!
Tonight was only a glimpse. I am so grateful for God's great heart. May we live into God's gift with grateful hearts.

No comments:

Post a Comment