Sunday, August 9, 2009

My flowers talked back...

When I got home tonight--full heart, tired body, I discovered that my flowers looked as tired as I felt. When I went out to water, my tiredness set in and I could feel myself scolding all the pots that needed watering.

"We have had lots of rain..."I was thinking...and, almost as if the flowers could talk back came the thought, "Yes, we have had lots of rain...last week, two weeks ago, three weeks ago....but not recently. In fact, not a drop in the past week. What makes you think that a good rain two weeks ago can nourish us now?"


Ouch.


Our spiritual lives are the same way. Devotions or prayer time that we had a month ago--even rich moments with the Lord--can't keep us flourishing spiritually indefinitely. The meal that we ate a week ago doesn't stop us from being hungry today. Churches that flourished decades ago and then refused to change seem surprised that they are drooping today.

Our United Methodist emphasis on Christian perfection is just the nourishing theological foundation to keep us alive spiritually. We know -- we emphasize--we remind ourselves that continuous spiritual growth is essential. And when we fail to let God's Spirit water our souls, we droop...we really droop.

My flowers have been gorgeous this summer. When they droop, I can see the difference.

Lives are no different.


No comments:

Post a Comment