Saturday, May 9, 2009

Blessings on every hand...

Mother's Day has been wonderful all my life.
When I was a child and before I became a mother, Mother's Day was the one (and sad-to-say, often only one) day that was dedicated to appreciating my extraordinary, kind, saintly mother. No one has ever had a more wonderful example of Christ's love than my mother. And anything good I have passed on to my children was because of her love for me. Mother's Day was the day that Mother got her due. And I loved it. From the time I was a child, I loved thinking up special things that we could do for her -- small mirrors of the constantly thoughtful things she did for us each day.
Five years ago this May was the last time I held her hand on Mother's Day. Although she wouldn't actually die until the following Sunday, we could feel time running out. Now, five years later, I can reflect with amazement the rich ways Mother has held my life since she died. Going through the section of Mother's Day cards always makes me miss her. But I don't need a holiday to miss her. I miss her every day. And I don't need a holiday to remind her that she is still with me. Every day, I realize that she is still with me. And the communion that we share is, literally, bigger than life. It is a communion of saints (a term that I'd repeated faithfully with the Apostle's Creed but never understood). Her patience, her kindness, her generosity continue to touch my life. Everyone who knew her will understand that she had a Christ-based witness that could not be confined to this life.
And how amazing it is to continually experience the wonder of my extraordinary daughters. They are so much more beautiful -- inside and out--than anything I could have shaped, formed or hoped for. The title "Mother" is a privilege and a continually unfolding joy. Christi will be taking her first pastoral appointment in July after finishing a demanding but rich year long clinical pastoral education experience. Mary Allen has grown into the most extraordinary mother for her two little boys. Their geographically isolated appointment this year has put unusual demands on her creativity and energy -- but she has loved and enjoyed and taught her boys so much more than they will ever be able to verbalize back to her in Mother's Days to come. What a joy to watch!
And, of course, I adore my little grandsons! What exuberant little bundles of unconditional love they are for my life! I understand -- but don't subscribe to that saying "If I had known grandchildren were so much fun, I would have had them first..." No other relationship -- not even the most adorable grandchildren--changes the miracle of your own children. And I couldn't have children who have brought more joy and love to me -- and to the world--than my girls. What great adventures in love God gives us with our families! What blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment