Sunday, January 30, 2011

Just wondering

I'm watching the Pro Bowl...not because I care so much about professional football...but because very dear former members I served will be receiving an award given to their husband/father, Bob Lawing, former NFL referee who died last May. Every NFL ref this year has worn his initials "BL" on their caps all year -- including next week in the Super Bowl. So, in addition to the Panthers having a miserable season, I have had a heavy heart about watching professional football.
In watching to see my friends, I have learned something. In this game, 10 of the players on the field are wearing microphones. We hear everything they say on the field. Now that's something I haven't seen before. Surely the idea that the whole world will hear what they say gives them pause. Maybe this is an idea that should have a broader application.
Today's Old Testament lesson was the wonderful passage in Micah 6: 1-8...what does the Lord require of us but to do justice, love kindness and walk humbly with God. As I sat in worship, I couldn't help but think of the stark contrast to God's requirements as I was hearing them and the world we are living in. Do justice? Love kindness? Dear Lord, we are so far away from justice and kindness being dominating characteristics of people --even people in the church. Sometimes especially people in church. Walk humbly with God? Maybe if the requirement is to walk stubbornly and beligerantly.....but humility? Not so much.
Maybe if people would think about their conversations as if they had microphones? Then we wouldn't have all these secret conversations/social network correspondence that turn out to be hurtful and embarrassing when they come to light. I know someone who has gotten emmeshed in a relationship at work. Like the story I have heard too many times, the relationship didn't start out to be inappropriate. Part of my advice to try to heal and pick up the pieces: with every conversation at work, imagine that your wife is right there to hear every word. Have your conversations as if you are wearing a microphone.
I don't know how the broadcasters chose which players would wear microphones. But this I know: whether we're aware of a microphone or not, there is Someone who hears every word--that Someone who loves us and laid down His life for us...that Someone who should be the One who, above all, we don't want to disappoint.

No comments:

Post a Comment