Friday, March 12, 2010

I should say I'm sorry

I should say I'm sorry that Carolina lost in the opening round of the ACC tournament and had such a miserable basketball season. I should say I'm sorry. But I'm not. Compassion is a challenge for me with Carolina fans.
Some day, I am going to write a book about serving churches full of Carolina fans. I have way too many stories about Carolina paraphanelia being left on my pulpit, sympathy cards when Duke lost and oh, the phone messages! After any Duke loss, there was a flood of phone messages. Anytime Carolina won, my consolation was I knew it was good for church attendance. They'd all be there, rubbing it in that Carolina had won. They'd come back early from a trip or off their sick bed if Carolina won and Duke lost. And, if Carolina lost or, the ultimate worst for them, Duke beat Carolina, I could be sure that Carolina fans were going to be sick and miss church.
I, as the pastor, of course, couldn't get sick and stay home. I had to come win or lose. So I have endured a lot through the rivalry through the years.
I grew up in Kentucky. I learned early to take my basketball very seriously. So I undertand Carolina fans are miserable. I should say I am sorry. But it wouldn't really be true. And I have lots of sympathy cards from Carolina fans who were only trying to rub it in.
So I'll tell the truth. I'm not sorry. But I'm not going to be obnoxious about it to people who are already down. I'm not going to do unto others like they have done unto me.

No comments:

Post a Comment